Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Editing timestamp of post
#
Hi,

I was just wondering if there's any possibility as an extension to the existing facility of admins being able to change the author of a post, the ability to edit the timestamp of that post being added as well? I believe the two features combined could make a handy migration tool for those considering moving to Jcink but are without access to the previous host's database.

This post has been edited by Oakster: Jun 9 2018, 03:12 AM
PM
#
This is an interesting idea. There are some reasons that make me hesistant regarding it, but i'll leave this open for further feedback.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Is your concern that when re-posting the posts won't show the date/time originally posted? If so, you could always just put the timestamp on the post. Honestly, most forums tend to have timestamps, I know I rarely look at the actual forum stamp on my forums cause people usually just input the date/time at the top of the first post in the thread using either bbcode or doHTML(whatever the forum uses/allows, some have specific codes and some just let you use whatever so long as you date). Even forums that use real time(ie months flow with RL months) usually allow timestamps for backplay or posts posted during the day that take place at night. It might be less complicated too in the long run - to me this sounds a little complicated, potentially risky even.

If the other concern perhaps is showing that ya'll have been around awhile, you could just put the date of your original forum creation and then the date you moved to new host as well. Just thought I'd present some possibilities that might help until/if something like this happens.
PM
#
    I can see this being an issue when it comes to stolen content. If someone can just edit the timestamp, they can claim they posted such content first even though they didn't. I've had people steal my stuff before and I had to use the timestamps to prove it.
PM
#
QUOTE (multiplicity! @ Jun 20 2018, 06:34 PM)
    I can see this being an issue when it comes to stolen content. If someone can just edit the timestamp, they can claim they posted such content first even though they didn't. I've had people steal my stuff before and I had to use the timestamps to prove it.

I'd be against it for this reason as well. Both me and my co-admin are authors (well, I'm working on my book, anyways) and have had our own content stolen as well and it's a pretty crappy feeling. Timestamps really do make the difference in proving it, so I wouldn't want the timestamps to be changed just because of that.
PM
#
Gotta say I agree with the above. Maybe it's possible to have a custom bbcode or something like that?

Maybe something that could over-ride the time-stamp with a custom stamp using Javascript, but while keeping the original time stamp intact within the system.

Or maybe just a bbcode at the top of the post that says what the original time stamp is, since movie forward new time stamps would be accurate.

signature
Kindly do not contact me on Discord or PM me for support.

user posted image
#
Ah, I specifically didn't mention the "reasons" I had to see if others would come up with the same thing, and they did. The integrity of the timestamps.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feature Requests | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll