Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Replace Files
#
I would like to see the ability to replace files on Jcink rather than have to delete the file and re-upload it. This can have many benefits for designers, coders, and even average board users. Being a coder here would be my main use for it: If I were able to replace a JS file I could update the JS file with bug fixes and improvements rather than uploading a new file with the fixes/improvements and having users re-apply the new file to their board, whereas they wouldn't have to do a thing except for maybe clear cache if we had the option to replace files, because fixes/improvements could be a global change for everyone that is using the JS file on their board.

signature
user posted image
PM
#
This is an Admin CP filemanager suggestion, correct?

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
The file manager would suffice, I think, but it could also be done for attachments too. ZetaBoards allowed you to replace files for attachments, but not in the file manager. Both would be helpful, but one of the two should suffice.

signature
user posted image
PM
#
Replacing a JS file isn't a good idea plainly because a browser caches a JS file, so you get an unreliable service on forums because one bunch of people are served one file and another are served the newer version. This is the same for images.

For CSS I could definitely see the benefits.
PM
#
Eventually though everyone does get their cache updated to the new file though, so I see why Cory wants it. Personally though here I try to encourage everyone to upload their own js files. It's been a liability in the past for many to link to a js file controlled by a third party. Have had to step in a few times to deal with "situations" that came up with mass linked js files. Not often, but it's happened.

Anyway, the filemanager at least should allow the option to overrwrite the file if it already exists regardless I think. Definitely would be nice to have.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
QUOTE (John @ Jun 10 2018, 02:03 PM)
Eventually though everyone does get their cache updated to the new file though,  so I see why Cory wants it. Personally though here I try to encourage everyone to upload their own js files. It's been a liability in the past for many to link to a js file controlled by a third party. Have had to step in a few times to deal with "situations" that came up with mass linked js files. Not often, but it's happened.

Anyway, the filemanager at least should allow the option to overrwrite the file if it already exists regardless I think. Definitely would be nice to have.

I'd love this feature so I can stop deleting and re-uploading files right after.

signature
user posted image
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feature Requests | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll