Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Massive Changes with Photobucket, Photobucket making positive changes
#
I'm not sure how much of you is aware of it, but I'm currently writing an article about Online Scammers etc. I was going to throw in a piece about Photobucket's "Photo Hostage" and when I was digging around for some information, I found some great information. I found this article from "The Denver Post".

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/17/photo...-hosting-plans/

Also, in this post, they mention that Corpus is no longer with them. You can still share your images free but have to subscribe for 3rd party hotlinking.

The subscription fee is very reasonable. Now the question is: I wonder how many people are going to go back to Photobucket. I know I'd have mixed feelings, first because Photobucket screwed everyone, but I'd be glad because things have changed. Their new CEO is Leonard.

This article has actually been published 2 weeks ago.

I thought I'd just like to share this.
PM
#
I cannot read the link because it is behind a pay wall.

I'm glad that they stopped holding all of those old free images hostage but I personally would not encourage forum owners to use it. Here, we give you space which should generally be plenty to host anything your forum needs theme, skin, and extras wise.

Of course if you need a solution to host files externally around the internet it may be fine but keep in mind PB didn't do this out of the kindness of their hearts. The images were held at a high premium price of $399 with little to no warning, and -- surprise, surprise -- this "business move" didn't work. I'd just be cautiously optimistic.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
True. Like I said, I do have mixed feelings, but glad Corpus is no longer there.

However, I wouldn't even want to use them anyway. I've had issues in the past wish severe lag because of all the ads. I did try them maybe twice in the past, but a total of probably not even 2 months.

I'm more than happy with Nickpic anyway. I really don't think there would be any better Image Hosting than him.

But on top of that, even though they came up with reasonable packages, I wonder how many "Users" are actually going to go back to Photobucket because of this mess.

Plus, if they were so afraid of their financial situation or if they actually wanted to make money, why not have reasonable packages from the start rather than dropping a $400 bombshell on us?

If they had reasonable packets from the getgo, it may have worked out a lot better. I can only guess that most, if not everyone will be POed at them for life. I can honestly say that I don't blame those who left because of that to never come back.

However, if they can still retain some Userbase and possibly get more users, they should be fine as long as they don't hit us with a brick wall again.

That being said, if anyone asks, I'd definitely send them to Nickpic.

BTW, if you can't read the article because of the paywall, feel free to remove it. I'm sure anyone whose interested in reading about it can find other sources.
PM
#
I got an email from them about this back in May or so, when they followed through with their extortion plot last year, the only thing that changed was that my avatar and signature, disappeared on other forums that I was a member of, but my skins and stuff were still up.

I still have like 7gb left on my 12gb account, I guess I am grandfathered from when they offered a ton of space for using their app on Android.

But if I were that hard up for space, and not skittish about them removing more features from paid users, and forgave them for last year's stunt, then I would probably go with the 20gb plan.

I used to be a paid user before, but when they removed themes, flash uploads, screwed up my videos, even if they were well within the resolution limits and a bunch of other features, and I still ended up seeing ads on my paid account, and so I decided to stop paying for pro. I haven't had many issues on my free account, aside from last year's b.s.

signature
TCforums.net - One forum. Thousands of topics. endless possibilities.
user posted image

My Suggestions: 1-10, 11-13,14, 15, 16*, 17,18, 19?, 20,21, 22, 23-31, 32-40, 41-48, 49-53, 54-57, 58*, 59, 60,61,62*,63*,64*,65*,66, 67,68, 69,70,71

All of my suggestions in one thread. Updated as of 7/23/18

"There was one of two things I had a right to: liberty or death. If I could not have one, I would take the other, for no man should take me alive." -- Harriet Tubman
#
Imo it's too little, too late. They've burned so many bridges by now I don't think I'd trust them to host anything anymore.

As stated above, Nickpic is excellent. The inbuilt file system jcink has is perfect for hosting anything related to the board and over avatars (and with that you'll never have to fear of images breaking or being deleted.) I'd even just upload my images to deviantart's stash before going back to pb, personally.
PM
#
QUOTE (Cronus @ Aug 1 2018, 09:11 PM)
I'm not sure how much of you is aware of it, but I'm currently writing an article about Online Scammers etc. I was going to throw in a piece about Photobucket's "Photo Hostage" and when I was digging around for some information, I found some great information. I found this article from "The Denver Post".

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/17/photo...-hosting-plans/

Also, in this post, they mention that Corpus is no longer with them. You can still share your images free but have to subscribe for 3rd party hotlinking.

The subscription fee is very reasonable. Now the question is: I wonder how many people are going to go back to Photobucket. I know I'd have mixed feelings, first because Photobucket screwed everyone, but I'd be glad because things have changed. Their new CEO is Leonard.

This article has actually been published 2 weeks ago.

I thought I'd just like to share this.

I won't go back. Fool me once, shame on me, there is no fooling a second time.

I do love the self hosting that Jcink has and the space of storage we have is quite generous.

signature
user posted image
PM
#
As long as photobucket doesn't pull the same crap again...MAYBE they'll get more users, although probably not too many former users are going to recommend them after last year's fiasco.

I do love Nickpic myself. Quite recently they've went to Discord which I joined. They're in the process of making major changes and upgrades etc, so I think they may be having some issues from time to time.

In the process they're even going to be adding new features, too, so once this major overhaul is done, I'm looking forward to see what they'll be like.

That being said, after last year's fiasco and the recent "Positive" changes, how long do you think Photobucket's going to last?

And as for Photobucket, I never did use them much anyway. They had crap loads of adds and would take literally for ever to load every page. I couldn't find the post on here so it may have been the other host I've used last year, but I posted how slow Photobucket was because of all the ads, and someone actually said Photobucket was so slow with crap loads of ads, their browser would often crash or not even load.

Photobucket never was that good from the beginning. Using a website with crap loads of ads so it's unbelievably slow is absolutely unacceptable, especially if the pages don't load or just crash your browser.
PM
#
One thing to keep in mind is that image hosting is a high resource, high maintenance service. You need to constanly buy more disks, servers, and bandwidth if you get popular -- and then the problem is, with what money?

Very few people can do all of that for free, and have the time to maintain the service, even with donations that usually just cover the cost of the hardware. I give major kudos to sites like nickpic that do it all on donations and out of pocket.

Of course let me be clear: it does not and will not ever justify what PB did in my opinion when they needed money. It was a bad decision both ethically and business wise. Really bizzaree how the prior CEO thought this was going to work. The previous PB CEO (and many CEOs of large companies) was probably so disconnected from reality. I still cannot fathom how they thought their plan was actually going to work by essentially creating a hostage situatuon.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
I can't remember if PB had it back then?

It would have been a lot better to have some paid packages right off the bat, but reasonable prices. They probably could have made a lot of money for these packages seeing that possibly thousands of people use PB, although I honestly can't say how many left for good after their fiasco.

Having premium packages from the start would have more likely been more successful than charging a fortune per year just for hotlinking.

I can't imagine what users would have done if they had thousands of pictures uploaded to PB which they could no longer use. It would have taken for ever to take those files and find a new host.

Also, for those who used PB for websites, must have hit them like a brick wall when they (or their clients) realized the pics weren't working.

As long as the new CEO is better than the former CEO, they still might have a chance, although if potential users find out what they've done last year, it might even drive them away.

PB might end up shutting down a lot sooner than if they didn't charge $400 per year just for hotlinking. At least that's my assumption.

PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feedback and Discussion | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll