Pages: (6) « First ... 2 3 4 5 6  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Icyboards -> Jcink convertor
#
So the current post icons we have now probably won't work. I know it's not the same thing, but I imagine John is probably so busy right now with the conversion (I mean, two different platforms are collapsing, that's wild) so for now you might be able to create 'hash tags' to be used within the posts. You can look into how some people implement those, here.

You might still look into post icon macros but the downside of that is there can only be fourteen in total across the board, and you can only select one per thread, but members and staff can use them alike, and they show up next to the thread title.

You might also consider letting member add their own titles by the use of bbcode in titles as an alternative work-around because, theoretically, you can have an infinite amount of 'tags' then, they'll always show up next to the thread title, and anyone can use them. The only down-side is it will probably be text-only.

Or a combo of the above might work for you! Also, I don't know if your previous host had 'thread titles' and 'thread descriptions' but Jcink has both - the latter can be reserved for tags if you like, but it's worth noting the description field is shorter than the title one, so using BBcode in it might not be as effective.

This post has been edited by owl: Jun 7 2018, 03:53 PM

signature
Kindly: do not contact me on Discord for support, do not PM me for support. Thanks for understanding!
#
QUOTE (owl @ Jun 7 2018, 03:49 PM)
John is probably so busy right now with the conversion (I mean, two different platforms are collapsing, that's wild) so for now you might be able to create 'hash tags' to be used within the posts.

It really is almost unprecedented... And while we're not able to convert any zetaboards forums since they are not providing the database, we have new users coming over who need help learning the differences in the systems. So there's a lot going on right now. I was actually going to finish up the Resource CMS I started last summer but that's been put on hold to handle the influx of newcomers who need assistance and conversion development for IB. Adding anything new is iffy at the moment. It'll settle though in due time.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Thanks Owl, I will try a combination of all of these things to try and replace my prefixes. I forgot topic descriptions were a thing; when I tried installing the mod for that on Icy, it didn't work. But the hashtags might be a good workaround for content warnings and game labels.

But I have to ask, why only 14 post icons specifically? No more no less? Seems weird that I can't add more. Icyboards lets you do this as well as removing the default ones, just like emoticons.

As for ZB that's actually why I'm here too. I had to move one of my forums to Icy from ZB then they announced like a week after I opened that Icy is closing. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/dry.gif It's been horrendously frustrating for me over here. But once I'm set back up I'd be more than happy to volunteer to help people over here, I've used ZB since before it was formally released, I'm extremely familiar with it and I've used Jcink for a long time too.

This post has been edited by Electrocutioner: Jun 7 2018, 05:17 PM
PM
#
IPB at the time didn't consider that anyone would use more than 14, so the system has 14 statically linked posticons. As a result, the implementation was very simple, but as a downside: there isn't a manager for them or anything either like the emoticons, so that would have to be built out and adapted to allow for the same flexibility. It's not impossible to do, I just don't have the time right now.

signature
#
And you can use less that fourteen - I do! You just have to use some CSS to hide the selectors for the ones you're not using. If you go that route, and the times comes, you can post a support forum and someone will help you with that, I'm sure. ^^

signature
Kindly: do not contact me on Discord for support, do not PM me for support. Thanks for understanding!
#
Is it possible to make a custom code to get something similar to it? Just curious, I don't need it personally.

signature
user posted image
PM
#
John, quick question

Do we need to create our boards before you import the old one?

regards

Alan
PM
#
Yes, but we are not doing any conversions yet. If you want to register now to reserve the name though that's totally fine.

signature
#
Thanks. I've taken "cb1300" and "testcb1300".

If that's OK, I'll start loading up emoji links and setting up the look and feel.

cheers

alan
PM
#
Please do that on a test board or design site, then bring the design over with the import/export tools only after conversion.

The registered boards need to be untouched as much as possible. You could probably add emojis but I don’t want anything too serious being done to the boards since if a conversion doesn’t go well for whatever reason, we will need an efficient reload process.

signature
#
Ah -OK.

All I've done is added some skins from the list and set up the <% NAVIGATION %> - and set a few defaults.

Nothing that can't be redone if needed.

Thanks

Alan
PM
#
I'd like to give a concrete update on what has been accomplished so far:

-- Member Data ---

On the front of members: Preserving the accounts is working well. As mentioned before everyone will need to reset their passwords, but saving all of the accounts hasn't been an issue. They are all properly linked to their posts and topics, as they should be.

Your members will have their avatar remote linked to icyboard's image server, so the conversion will include these avatars. This will allow them time to save and reup them somewhere. We might just write a process to pull down all of the uploaded avatars and rehost them.

-- Post Data ---

This has been the most challenging thus far. Some are very simple posts; others are very creative. Post templates for example are definitely not going to look perfect, but we've done some work to get them to play nice. I've made some other refinements as well: for example, where someone might have linked boardname.icyboards.net, we're taking that reference and changing to the jcink url in an attempt to help clean up broken topic and post links around the forum. There's some bbcode that doesn't parse over here as well that I addressed; again I'm doing everything possible to make the posts look the best they can.

We have some more work to do regarding the messages + groups as well -- but things are moving forward.

The goal is to make the conversion be the best that it can. We could probably start converting boards now, if there was some type of emergency situation. But that is not desirable, as they will have little issues like I mentioned that I might be able to solve or smooth over with some more work. I know how hard moving to a new platform is for everybody. The more smooth and refined it is, the better for everyone.

signature
#
Thanks for the update, John.

When it comes "time" for moving over, what is the process (do we do it? do we email the SQL file? etc.) and how long do you invisage it will be?

regards

Alan
PM
#
How will admin account data transfer? Will I have to reset my password on my root admin account?
PM
#
Thank you so much for the update! It's good to know that things are progressing along and thank you so much for the hard work you're putting into this!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feedback and Discussion | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (6) « First ... 2 3 4 5 6  Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll