Attention:

Support Rules and Guidelines
Before you post your support topic, please remember to:
  • Read the support forum rules.
  • Check the wiki and use search to see if your problem can be answered there first.
  • Link your board please, and make sure that the problem on your board is visible to guests or provide a test account.
  • Do not post Board Wrappers and CSS unless requested. With a board link, this is not necessary.
  • Be as descriptive as you can and use as many details as possible when describing your problem.
  • Please briefly mark any links to forums that may not be work-safe.
This will help ensure your support issue will be attended to in a quick and efficient manner.

ClosedNew TopicNew Poll

Old forum has disappeared
#
Hi,

So, I don't really expect anything to come from this because I have 0 idea how long ago it was actually deleted, if that's what happened, but I'm hopeful...out of boredom, I was looking at some of my old role playing forums, and I went to go to one of them, which was here, and I got this error message:

Board Not Found

The board you tried to access does not exist. Please make sure that you entered the URL correctly.

If you know you entered the board URL correctly, the forum may have been deleted due to inactivity of forum administration.

I know that I have the URL correct, so I'm assuming that it was deleted due to me not logging in in X amount of months or maybe even years...but the weird thing is that I've definitely logged in within the last year, and I have other forums that are OLDER than that one that I can still log into, but I suddenly can't access this one.

There were some old posts that I had wanted to copy and paste into a Word document and never finished doing so...was the forum actually deleted? And if so, was an e-mail ever sent out saying that it was in danger of being deleted? Admittedly I have no idea what e-mail address I would have used to register the forum, though I have a guess, and if it was one of those two e-mails, as far as I know I did not receive anything telling me that it was in danger of being deleted. This is also the first time I've heard of any forums on JCink being deleted due to inactivity by the administrator. How long ago would it have been deleted, if that's actually what happened? Like I said, I've definitely logged in within the last year, and this is the first time I've gone without logging into one of my old forums only to find that it's no longer there, so I'm kind of like http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/dry.gif at the moment because of those posts. I got most of them, but not all of the ones that I had cared about.

If I had known it was in danger of being deleted, I would have logged in and finished grabbing the posts so that this wouldn't happen. :|

This post has been edited by Jedi Knight Muse: Feb 22 2018, 02:05 AM

signature

user posted image
#
Jedi Knight Muse

Boards are pruned from time to time for a long range of inactivity, more often if they are a highly sought target by spambots (1 year+ of no staff login). It's an odd situation though since you say you logged into it in the last year. This is activity we have conducted since 2014. I deeply apologize that your old board is likely gone.

By chance do you have any backup files taken with the database download system? We could restore the board for you with it if you do. Otherwise I will check the sql folder to see if there are any in there.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
QUOTE (John @ Feb 22 2018, 02:11 AM)
Jedi Knight Muse

Boards are pruned from time to time for a long range of inactivity, more often if they are a highly sought target by spambots (1 year+ of no staff login). It's an odd situation though since you say you logged into it in the last year. This is activity we have conducted since 2014. I deeply apologize that your old board is likely gone.

By chance do you have any backup files taken with the database download system? We could restore the board for you with it if you do. Otherwise I will check the sql folder to see if there are any in there.

Yeah, there's definitely been no spam that I've noticed on the forum when I've logged in. In fact, I'm 99% positive I made it so that you have to be registered to log in to the forum, so there's definitely been no spam on it. It's been a while since the last time I logged in, but I know it was definitely some time in the last year, 'cause I tend to go looking at old forums every now and then but it's at least a few times a year that I do.

Nope, I don't have anything. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/sad.gif The forum would have been made back in 2008-2009ish (probably closer to 2009 in this case), and I'm not even using the same computer that I was using back then. There was another RP forum that the deleted forum was a kind of spin-off of that was created in 2008, but the original forum that the deleted forum is a spin-off of is still letting me log in. I don't think I would have even thought about doing a backup back then, and if I did, the files are long gone.
All of my old forums, including this one that was deleted, were turned offline and made so that people had to log in in order to view the forum, so there definitely shouldn't have been a spam issue on any of them. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/sad.gif There would have been spam in the cboxes that we were using but that shouldn't have effected anything with the forum since the forums were all turned offline, but it's just this one that's disappeared for some reason.

This post has been edited by Jedi Knight Muse: Feb 22 2018, 02:23 AM

signature

user posted image
#
I was googling around to see if I could get data for you, and google cache seems to be gone with it (which indicates it was removed quite long ago, given that google takes forever to remove cache) and it must have had some old software linkbacks possibly posted in a member or guest forum (maybe a hidden forum?) for "Direct Driver Downloads." -- this would have made the url at some point an attractive hit for spammers, making it a candidate for clearance especially if it was being hit regularly by scanners. Google Adsense also gets really mad if they find us hosting linkbacks like this which is another factor although I don't think I ever got a warning in this specific case.

I'm really sorry and I wish I could get the data back for you. As long as a staff account is signed into (moderator, super mod, admin), then a board stays marked as "active." I will check the SQL backups folder and let you know anyway just in case.

Jedi Knight Muse if you like we can send you a list of all forums you own so that you can login to them now and dl backups and/or just log into them to keep them active. As we don't want to see this happen to you again.

Attached 1 File(s)
Attached Image

signature
#
QUOTE (John @ Feb 22 2018, 02:24 AM)
I was googling around to see if I could get data for you, and google cache seems to be gone with it (which indicates it was removed quite long ago, given that google takes forever to remove cache) and it must have had some old software linkbacks possibly posted in a member or guest forum (maybe a hidden forum?) for "Direct Driver Downloads." -- this would have made the url at some point an attractive hit for spammers, making it a candidate for clearance especially if it was being hit regularly by scanners. Google Adsense also gets really mad if they find us hosting linkbacks like this which is another factor although I don't think I ever got a warning in this specific case.

I'm really sorry and I wish I could get the data back for you. As long as a staff account is signed into (moderator, super mod, admin), then a board stays marked as "active." I will check the SQL backups folder and let you know anyway just in case.

Jedi Knight Muse if you like we can send you a list of all forums you own so that you can login to them now and dl backups and/or just log into them to keep them active. As we don't want to see this happen to you again.

Hm. I mean, I'm sure we had guest friendly forums for advertising purposes, but like I said, once we closed the role play, I turned the forum offline, which should have meant that no guests could post in those sections. And like I said, I don't remember any spam being posted on the forum the last time I logged in. It's possible that it could have been in the cbox, but that shouldn't have effected the forum itself, because it wasn't the Jcink shoutbox we were using, it was Chatango or something. I would have noticed if there had been any new posts made and I would have deleted them...but they still shouldn't have been able to bypass the forum being offline and only those with accounts being able to log in.

Yeah, I'm the original administrator and creator of the forum, so it was definitely an administrator account that I was logging in with. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/unsure.gif I want to say the last time I logged in to the forum was probably....some time between last spring and last fall, I would say. I'm leaning towards more spring/summer of last year.

Sending me that list would be awesome! Although I made a LOT of forums using different e-mail addresses over the years, if that's what you need in order to find them all...I wouldn't even be able to begin to listing all of them, because I made Gmail addresses for each role play/whatever kind of forum I was making most of the time and probably didn't use my personal email addresses all the time.

JediKnightMuse@gmail.com and AWritersFantasy@gmail.com would be two of the big ones I would have registered forums with. I would say the AWritersFantasy one would be the one used for the forum that's now gone. I just checked the older forum that the disappeared forum was a spin-off of and it was registered with AWritersFantasy@gmail.com, so I'd say the one that's now deleted would be under that e-mail address.

This post has been edited by Jedi Knight Muse: Feb 22 2018, 02:45 AM

signature

user posted image
#
Jedi Knight Muse

we have actually noticed that spammers are attracted to board urls with open cboxes as well. after 2014's large inactivity clearances we started locking down boards a bit by disabling the ability to register new accounts if staff were inactive for a very long time, as well as any new posts, but this has only partially helped things. once they post a message anywhere and can confirm it sticks, its like flies on honey. sometimes even after the board has long since stopped accepting new posts... or if the content that was once there stayed there for a long time before it had been removed... it's a whole mess that we constantly play cat and mouse on that I could probably talk all day and it creates a massive drain on resources but... anyway...

Sending me that list would be awesome! Although I made a LOT of forums using different e-mail addresses over the years, if that's what you need in order to find them all.

That's what we need, yes.

We'll get the list out to you sometime this week; and yes, it is purely email based but I can of course find the boards under your two big ones. Then, you can log into all of them. I will verify their 'activity' status as well if you wish.

signature
#
QUOTE (John @ Feb 22 2018, 02:58 AM)
Jedi Knight Muse

we have actually noticed that spammers are attracted to board urls with open cboxes as well. after 2014's large inactivity clearances we started locking down boards a bit by disabling the ability to register new accounts if staff were inactive for a very long time, as well as any new posts, but this has only partially helped things. once they post a message anywhere and can confirm it sticks, its like flies on honey. sometimes even after the board has long since stopped accepting new posts... or if the content that was once there stayed there for a long time before it had been removed... it's a whole mess that we constantly play cat and mouse on that I could probably talk all day and it creates a massive drain on resources but... anyway...

Sending me that list would be awesome! Although I made a LOT of forums using different e-mail addresses over the years, if that's what you need in order to find them all.

That's what we need, yes.

We'll get the list out to you sometime this week; and yes, it is purely email based but I can of course find the boards under your two big ones. Then, you can log into all of them. I will verify their 'activity' status as well if you wish.

I can't remember but I'm pretty sure the cbox on this forum that got deleted was inactive (like, no one could post in it any more), but I'm honestly not 100% positive about that 'cause I can't remember for sure. But assuming that that was the case, it still shouldn't have led to the forum being deleted because of supposed spam, especially because once the board was turned offline, they shouldn't have been able to post ANYWHERE on the forum due to needing to be registered, and I also would have turned registrations off. It's weird that cboxes would be able to attract the spam bots like that, because the cbox is totally separate from the forum itself, so it shouldn't even matter if they post in the cbox...though there's also the fact that it's embedded into the code, so maybe that somehow has something to do with it.

So then if my forum somehow ended up being a spam target, then why would it take until at least some time in the last 8-10 months for it to be deleted? Is it just because it can take a long time to get through all of the dead forums and get them out of your system and it took until some time this past year for it to happen?

Also, I seriously don't remember ever seeing that post that you linked to, and even if I had, I probably didn't think it applied to me at the time. But I'm 99% positive that I didn't see it. I wish I had gotten an e-mail or something about it so that I would have known to do a backup of the forum. I probably should have thought to do a backup anyway, but I didn't think it was going to get deleted. It's still weird that it was this forum and not the forums that are way older and just as likely to get spam in the cboxes that got deleted.

Hm. I have absolutely no idea what other e-mail addresses I would have used over the years...I would say start off with those two that I gave you, and then if there's any missing off of the list that you send me I'll try and figure out what it would be under. Although now that I think about it, I think when I registered the actual accounts, it probably would have been with either of those two e-mail addresses 'cause I would have wanted the e-mails to go to my primary e-mails. So I would say definitely check AWritersFantasy@gmail.com and JediKnightMuse@gmail.com. And yeah, verifying their 'activity' status would be great, too.

signature

user posted image
#
So then if my forum somehow ended up being a spam target, then why would it take until at least some time in the last 8-10 months for it to be deleted? Is it just because it can take a long time to get through all of the dead forums and get them out of your system and it took until some time this past year for it to happen?

Without going into detail about the heuristics we have, the simple answer here is yes. And if the older boards were never a target, they didn't get deleted. It is clear that the board was at some point based on that search result I found, but I'm unable to find any other information.

I sent you a list of board registration history via email now, we'll continue from there.

signature
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | General Support | Next Newest »

Options ClosedNew TopicNew Poll